8 Ways to Obtain United States Visa for Foreign Investors

The Associated Press recently stated that giant U.S. Companies such as Coca Cola, Loews Hotels, Tyson Foods, Cargill and a half dozen national and regional companies, are urging lawmakers to revise and improve immigration laws due to high demand for lower skilled employees. On the other hand technology companies such as Google, Microsoft, Intel and others also demand from Congress to reform immigration law so that more visas are offered through faster process for skilled workers. In the midst of growing demand for foreign investment, now more than ever is the right time for business owners to come and invest in the United States.

Having said that, we are guessing that you pretty much have some knowledge about doing business in the United States and would like to get a preliminary advice on how to enter the United States legally. If you want to invest your money based on your entrepreneur spirit to do good and beyond in America, we applaud you for your initiative. United States is the most capitalist country in the world with unlimited opportunities to satisfy your appetite to grow big and live the American Dream.

Let's lay out the options for you: First, it is always a good idea to research and get information about what you intend to do in the United States. You can apply for short term temporary visas such as business visa B-1, tourist visa B-2, student visa F-1, or exchange visa J-1. B-1 and B-2 visas will allow you to stay in the United States for six months. You need to show economic and family ties in your home country (bank records, home ownership documents, employment verification, and family information) to obtain these visas.

If you need more time to settle down and investigate your company options, then F-1 and J-1 visas are more appropriate for you. For student visa, you first apply for admission with your school of choice and acquire I-20 from the school to be able to apply for F-1 visa at the U.S. Consulate in your country. Once you get the F-1 visa, your spouse or children can get F-2 statuses as derivate beneficiaries known as accompanying relatives. Getting educated in the United States will contribute to your knowledge and experience as to which business you should invest. We recommend majors such as Business, Economics, Market Research Analyst and others. Finally, you can get internship with U.S. companies and for that you can get a J-1 visa. If you are a really good engineer or a computer programmer, you can even get a paid internship with big Companies such as Apple, Microsoft, Google, and others.

Now that you have gone through getting facts and opinions about the business you intend to run, you have an option to apply for E-1 Treaty Trader or E-2 Treaty Investor Visas. For E-1 visa you must have substantial trade with the United States. For E-2 visa you must start up a business with moderate investment requiring you to risk approximately $80,000.00 to $100,000.00 in the United States. Once you get an E Visa, your spouse can get a work permit and your children under 21 can get the same status in the United States.

If your company is doing really good, you may expand your business and may need to hire workers. If you need to hire foreign workers, you can petition for them to get H-1B, L-1A or O-1 visas depending on their skills and education. For H-1B, the visas are limited and you must make sure the quota has not been fulfilled before you petition for your employee. The start date for a new H-1B employee must always be October 1 of each year. H-1B candidates are usually University Graduates. L-1A is available only if you want to transfer your employees from your foreign branch or subsidiary into the United States. Your other option would be O-1 Visa for individuals with extraordinary abilities. Usually credible documentation is required such as major awards, membership in unique associations, articles and recognition about your work, monetary success and other pertinent evidence.

If you want to invest $500,000.00 to $1,000,000.00 dollars in the United States as a business owner, you can get an immigrant visa, which is designed for individuals who seek to permanently live in the United States. This visa is known as the EB-5 Immigrant Visa. It requires you to open a business with said amounts and hire at least ten (10) employees on a full time basis. If you want to obtain an immigrant visa through employment, but do not have that much money, you can apply for EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, and EB-4 immigrant visas. You must go through the process of sponsorship from a U.S. company however (except EB-1 applicants who have extraordinary abilities who can self petition and do not need sponsorship).

If you want to pursue one or few of the business visa options indicated above, you must use the services of a highly skilled Business and Immigration Attorneys. We are those Attorneys. We know how to form a company and open a bank account for you. For your business needs, we will draft your bylaws, business transaction contracts, confidentiality agreements, licensing, distribution, franchising agreements, formation of joint ventures, asset transfer agreements, business acquisition agreements, merger agreements and strategic business plans. Call us for a free telephone or office consultation so that you can plan your future with confidence and certainty.